[QGIS-Developer] iOS prototyping

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Sat Oct 27 16:35:58 PDT 2018

Hi

> On 24 Oct 2018, at 20:53, Marco Bernasocchi <marco at opengis.ch> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim the issue is in distributing on app store,  if you are deploying via other channels there is no issues IIRC.

Yeah I was aware of that from previous chats with you - I was wondering if Peter maybe had a different / new take on the problem….

One (probably unpopular and definitely tedious if not impossible) option might be for us to add an exception to the GPL license used for QGIS allowing its distriibuton via app stores, get every committer who has code in the current codebase to agree to the exception and build iOS packages off that. Though that would still leave a large issue of the dependent libraries that we use that are under GPL where the latter approach is even less feasible. So while I am excited at the idea of running QGIS on my iPad / iPhone I am wondering if this is a dead-end excursion in terms of making QGS generally available on iOS?

BTW I think that in a couple of years macOS and iOS will have fused somewhat and whatever gets built for iOS might be expected to run on macOS too. The recent Mojave release has the first example iOS-on-macOS example apps shipped with it (check out the voice memo app on Mojave for an example).

Regards

Tim

> But I'm also interested in case you guys at Lutra had a look at the problem.
>
> Peter Great to hear, thanks for it! I'm sure we'll eventually want to try this out ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> Marco
>

> On 24.10.18 00:27, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> Hi
>>

>> Wow! This is awesome stuff…..what is your take on the licensing side of things (in terms of GPL/LGPL code deployed on iOS)? I for one look eagerly forward to being able to make / run QGIS based apps on my iOS devices so thanks so much for your work here!
>>

>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>
>>> On 23 Oct 2018, at 15:50, Peter Petrik <peter.petrik at lutraconsulting.co.uk <mailto:peter.petrik at lutraconsulting.co.uk>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we have finished prototyping study to prove that QgsQuick based application can be run on iOS platform (iPhone, iPad). We managed to run application on iPad with in-memory vector layer. To have a proper demo, we would need to be able to compile other providers as static libraries, which can take some time.
>>>
>>> For those brave enough and with a week of spare time, here is the code that can be used to compile it.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/lutraconsulting/qgis-quick-demo-app-ios <https://github.com/lutraconsulting/qgis-quick-demo-app-ios>
>>> https://github.com/lutraconsulting/OSGeo4iOS <https://github.com/lutraconsulting/OSGeo4iOS>
>>>
>>> Thanks to https://www.gigaclear.com <https://www.gigaclear.com/> for funding the effort.
>>>
>>> Cheers,