[QGIS-Developer] iOS prototyping

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 15:44:55 PDT 2018

On Tue, 30 Oct 2018 at 01:10, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi Nyall, all
>

> Il 10/28/2018 10:31 PM, Nyall Dawson ha scritto:
> >
> > I see this "stuck with the GPLv2 license FOREVER AND EVER" as a
> > potential risk to the project. There's many other open source licenses
> > to choose from, including some which MAY be much better to suited for
> > the project. But I feel confident that with the right approach,
> > careful wording, and legal fine print we could, at this stage of the
> > project, get agreement from all current contributors to a copyright
> > transfer agreement. So I'd like us to at least have a nice discussion
> > about whether this is a good idea or not.
> >
> I think this is such a strategic, and potentially divisive, issue that
> it would be better to discuss it in person. I suggest to schedule ti for
> the next HF.

Ideally I'd agree with the sentiment here, but a large number of our
developers can't attend these hackfests. (And as witnessed by the bug
tracker discussion this leads to lack of ownership of a decision by
those not in attendance).

Maybe something like this would be a possible approach:

1. PSC discuss whether this is something they want to pursue as an
organisation or not. If not, end of discussion.
2. Create a QEP page for central discussion on the point. Advertisie
initially on mailing lists.
3. When enough discussion (and hopefully, consensus) has been reached
on a possible approach, send a link to the QEP discussion to all known
contributors for wider feedback. If no consensus, end of discussion.
4. If there is general approval amongst contributors  AND is appears
to be possible to advance then PSC/org get legal advise before
proceeding. If not legally possible, end of discussion.
5. Formalise the proposal into some legally binding agreement
6. Get voting members to vote on proposal (maybe 5/6 would be
flipped?). If vote is declined, end of discussion.
7. Get existing contributors to sign the agreement.
(8. Replace existing code from any non-signing contributors)
9. Put process in place for new contributors to agree to agreement
before contributions are allowed.

I realise that this is a long and potentially difficult path, but many
other projects have successfully navigated it. And I think we should
at least explore it, if for no other reason then to know if we never
need to have this discussion again :)

Nyall