[QGIS-Developer] Early 3.4 point release?

Régis Haubourg regis.haubourg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 02:21:48 PDT 2018

Thanks Nyall for raising this.
This indeed fells like "deja vu" and we need to advertise users that a
fresh new major release will for sure need point releases. We didn't
probably explain well enough that 3.4 is the LTR candidate, but will
definitly be a LTR in january at the end of life of 2.18 version.

I am a big +1 on a code freeze period. This code freeze period will need to
be associated with a strict definition of "blocker issues" that really need
to by adressed immediatly. This issue here is a great example of a valid
blocker.

I also think we have now a large enough code base and user base to prepare
a slower release cycle with longer feature freeze, bugfix  and code freeze.
We talked about it in Zanzibar, and I think advertising now that by the end
of 2019, ltr should be supported for 2 years, and releases every 6 months
would be nice.

What worries me in current fast cycle is that we have a lot of packaging
burden for all OS, and each release has a human cost. I think it's time we
just slow down just a little, but 6 months would already be something
really fast for such a big software in fact.

Cheers

Régis