[QGIS-Developer] Early 3.4 point release?

Alessandro Pasotti apasotti at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 03:08:44 PDT 2018

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 10:41 AM Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > This code freeze period will need to be associated with a strict
> definition of "blocker issues" that really need to by adressed immediatly.
> This issue here is a great example of a valid blocker.
>
> big fan of the "no known regressions admitted", at least for LTR releases.

The problem here is the "known" part: if we had more testers on the
nightlies during the two weeks before the release date, we would probably
have catched some of these regression in time to fix them.

I think that it would be a good idea to create a group of volunteer
testers, like we have for translators, that can regularly run test cycles
(for example going through the tutorials that we already have).

We might want to introduce the concept of release candidate, in order to
have a stricter code freeze, and give the testers and translators some
amount of time for testing and translations, during this time only "real"
bug fixes should be allowed.

That said, I think that "release early release often" is still the best way
we can handle release cycles.

--
Alessandro Pasotti
w3:   www.itopen.it