[QGIS-Developer] Discussing default snapping and node editing settings

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Sep 12 07:57:40 PDT 2018

Hi,

I noticed that by default QGIS is set to edit ALL layers and also snaps
to ALL layer by default. I do think that this is a bad default setting,
esp. with larger projects.

We had issues because users had WFS layers in their project (read only,
as reference) and QGIS tries to index these WFS layers and to get their
vertices in order to snap to them. Then QGIS hangs and freezes and there
are network time outs. Apparently one has to kill QGIS using the task
manager.

I think the better default is to edit and snap only in the active layer
by default.

Opinions?

Andreas