[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] New Features in Shape Tools 3.2.0

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 00:06:41 PDT 2018

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 at 16:59, Kristian Evers <kreve at sdfe.dk> wrote:

> Hi Paolo,
>
> I have some rought notes that I can try to polish up a bit and share here.
> I'll see if I can find the time for that today. I didn't get to the bottom of
> the problem but I am leaning towards the issue being that QGIS uses an
> inferior algorithm to determine geodesics. Unfortunately I couldn't find out
> from either the source code or the documentation which algorithm is used.
> As far as I remember it differs from the otherwise popular algorithm by
> Vincenty. That may be because a different algorithm is used or the
> Implementation is wrong.
>
> I'll get back with a better write-up later and some test data and results.

We use a direct port from GRASS:

https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/blob/master/src/core/qgsdistancearea.cpp#L690

vs GRASS upstream:

https://trac.osgeo.org/grass/browser/grass/trunk/lib/gis/area_poly1.c?rev=71260

It's not very stable for very small areas -- better to use cartesian
calculations there. Or bring in geographiclib and punt the
responsibility elsewhere ;)

Nyall