[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-user] New Features in Shape Tools 3.2.0

Kristian Evers kreve at sdfe.dk
Tue Sep 25 07:50:20 PDT 2018

Calvin,

I am quite sure that Charles Karney holds an undisputed claim of the Most Accurate Geodesic Algorithm™. At least I haven’t come across any papers offering better accuracy.

Google Earths figure of 14.672 km^2 is very similar to MapInfos spherical area calculation of 14.670 km^2, so for now I think we can assume that Google’s Earth is not subject to either rotation nor gravity :-)

Regarding including the gravity (geoid) models in GeographicLib I must admit that that is outside my knowledge of the library. If the library can calculate geodesics on the geoid that would be even more accurate, yes. Although you are at the mercy of the accuracy of the geoid models. For my particular application I wouldn’t use one since the global models mention in the docs you link to are not that well-fitting in this area. In theory I could produce a grid from a better geoid model. While an interesting problem to handle I think it is taking it just a step too far.

/Kristian