[QGIS-Developer] GSoC 2019 for QGIS 3D Improvement Proposal

Ismail Sunni imajimatika at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 10:00:50 PDT 2019

Hi Luigi,

Yeah, like Martin and Peter said, it's out of the scope of the proposal.
Martin and I actually discussed it also. But I agree, after reading it
again, it does give a hint that I will implement that. I think it's better
to remove it for now and focus on the most common use case one. What do you
think?

Hi Sigeal

I also had some similar issues while testing the 3D window on W10 with QGIS
> 3.6.1 :
> - sometimes, the 3D window loses its controls (no title bar, no status
> bar), but I get them back if I resize the window with the mouse (on click
> release)
> - the 3D window appears in View -> Panels menu, but not in the contextual
> menu (right click in the empty toolbar zone)
> - if I uncheck the 3D window in the View -> Panels menu, it is closed and
> I can't get it back
> - I had crashes while trying to dock a new 3D window in an existing one
> (which normally create a new tab)
> - it would be great to be able to minimize 3D windows

I will check it, but not sure will add it to the proposal. I also wonder
that there is no minimize 3D windows. I think it will be great if we can
have a list of 2D and 3D view that we can close and open later.

Thanks for all your comments :)

Best regards.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2019 at 9:56 AM Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:

> +1 in fact I was surprised!
>
> Luigi Pirelli

> * LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/luigipirelli
> * Stackexchange: http://gis.stackexchange.com/users/19667/luigi-pirelli
> * GitHub: https://github.com/luipir
> * Mastering QGIS 2nd Edition:
> *
> https://www.packtpub.com/big-data-and-business-intelligence/mastering-qgis-second-edition
> * Hire me: http://goo.gl/BYRQKg

> On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 at 09:50, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Luigi
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 9:36 AM Luigi Pirelli <luipir at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > "Point cloud rendering" is cited in the document... that't the reason I
>> wrote about.
>>
>> Point cloud rendering is mentioned there because the 'billboards' 3D
>> rendering technique can be reused for point clouds as well - but it
>> wasn't the intention to implement a point cloud visualizer there
>> (although re-reading the proposal, it can give such impression).
>>
>> @Ismail - maybe that point in your proposal could be removed to avoid
>> confusion about the scope of the project... or it could be
>> reformulated that it would "just" prepare the ground for point clouds
>> rendering sometime later.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Martin

Ismail Sunni