[QGIS-Developer] Why was selection tool behaviour changed in 3.x?

Marco Bernasocchi marco at opengis.ch
Wed Apr 10 08:38:15 PDT 2019

Hi

On 09.04.19 02:53, Cory Albrecht wrote:

>       Cory Albrecht <maps at hanfastolfe.com <mailto:maps at hanfastolfe.com>>
>

> 8:14 PM (37 minutes ago)
>

> to Régis
>
> Hello Régis,
>
> Sorry for not being clear - I mean when using the selection tool in
> freehand mode. I am definitely not talking about the identification
> tool, assuming you're referring to the same thing that I am thinking
> of? Ctrl+Shift+I, or the icon that is the cursor with a the letter "i"
> in a sold blue circle. I'm not sure I would call that new as it's been
> part of QGIS since I started using it in about 2015. Perhaps you're an
> old salt from the 1.x days? ;-)
>
> As a principle of UX design, ideally, the user should do the same
> action - click and drag - for any type of selection, both to maintain
> internal consistency in the application and with common ways of doing
> things in the broader computer universe. This lets people learn new
> software quickly by having a set of transferable actions that can get
> them up and running and doing rudimentary things quickly. It also
> helps reduce unintended errors caused by using common actions that get
> unexpectedly interpreted different than the user is used to. Things
> like this contribute to how easy or frustrating an application is to
> use, both for new and long time users.
>
> 1. For the "Select Feature(s)", click and drag to indicate the
> diagonally opposite corners of a selection rectangle.
> 2. For the "Select Features by Freehand", click and drag to create an
> irregular blob of selection area.
> 3. For the "Select Features by Radius", click and drag to indicate the
> centre of a selection circle and it's radius.
>
> In 2.x the answer to all of those was yes, but in 3.x it's yes, no, no.
I just tested and the answer are, as Régis mentioned, the same as in
2.18 ( tested using 3.4.4). the behavior you describe is only true when
you activate "select by polygon".

> In vector and raster drawing applications, drawing rectangles, circles
> and blobs is done by click and drag, as is selecting rectangular,
> circular or irregular blobby areas. If you release and click elsewhere
> then drag, you start drawing a new object, or you discard the first
> selection and start outlining a new one. Word processing and text
> section, video editors and frame selection, sound editors and lengths
> of time in a track, they all have the user do these conceptually
> similar tasks in the same way - click and drag to create a selection ,
> new click discards old selection.
>
> Another principle of UX design is that you don't change how a user
> does something unless there is clear benefit that outweighs the
> trouble of relearning, especially for action concepts that are common
> in the broader sphere. When you make changes without benefits you
> cause friction in your user flows (some call those "point points"),
> and that means people find that task (and potentially the application
> as a whole) difficult and frustrating to use.
>
> For those three methods of selection there's nothing to be gained by
> making QGIS 3.x the odd one out in how this is done. There's no
> benefit added by extra functionality in these selection methods. All
> it does is create pain points, both by being different from everybody
> else and by being inconsistent internally.
That is exactly why QGIS does it the same why as other tools.

> The exception to this is the poly gone selection tool. I've never
> encountered it outside of QGIS and ArcGIS. Drawing applications have
> polygon drawing tools in which you sequentially click the polygon's
> points, just like how you create features on polygon or line layers in
> QGIS, but there's no polygon selection analogue. As such it makes
> sense to take the feature creation method of sequential clicks over
> for use in a polygon selection tool rather than coming up with a whole
> new user flow like click and drag and tapping the space bar for the
> points.
>
> And so I wonder - what was the rationale behind making this change?

a very quick google search returned the whole rationale to changing the
behavior of the Node tool [0] but none for the behavior you describe,
which I could not reproduce. Could you show us a screencast?

[0] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals/issues/69

oh, and cheers

Marco