[QGIS-Developer] Crashes on closing QGIS

Thomas Baumann rdbath.regiodata at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 14:04:50 PDT 2019

Hi there,

@Alessandro Pasotti; thanks for pointing out that there are several persons
affected by bugs which cause QGIS3 to crash on exit.
I know that my stacktrace is different from Andreas' one. when I said "same
here" I was refering to Andreas'  statement  "We always have crashes on
closing QGIS (on Windows)".

@Jürgen Fischer: ok. here is the long story about the stacktrace ;-) :
Yesterday I created some layers (mostly memory layers )with the processing
toolbar (reproject, union and so on). Then I did not touch the opened
project until today when I wanted to close QGIS and it warned me that there
are unsaved memory layers. So I canceled the closing and saved the layer.
After that I tried to close QGIS and it crashed.

@Matthias Kuhn: I can understand that the priority is not as high as if
would be if data would be corrupted but if I have a look at
https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20283 I see nearly 70 tickets linked to this
one where it was reported that QGIS crashes while closing so I think it's
obvious that is is a nasty bug that affects a lot of people.
Doing a quick google search for the term " proj_lpz_dist"  shows a lot of
cases where the coordinate transformation of a polygonlayer seems to cause
problems:

proj_lpz_dist :
QgsCoordinateTransform::transformPolygon :

Does someone know what "proj_lpz_dist" stands for?

If I would have been able to reproduce the error I would have contacted our
QGIS support provider to let them fix the bug but until now it was not
possible to reproduce the crash.

Is there something else that can be done to help fixing this bug?
This bug is one of the reasons why QGIS3 cannot be rolled out for
productiuon use at my workplace. Even if QGIS3 has very nice new features
QGIS2.18 is still way more stable at the moment, so we postpone the QGIS3
rollout from week to week.

regards,
Thomas

Am Mi., 10. Apr. 2019 um 17:30 Uhr schrieb Jürgen E. Fischer <jef at norbit.de
>:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 10. Apr 2019 at 16:14:50 +0200, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
> > @thomas : there are already dozen of issue reports with your stacktrace,
> > which is very different from Andrea's.
>
> namely https://issues.qgis.org/issues/20283, but a clue how to reproduce
the
> issue.   People tend to just post the crash report, but most of the time
no
> information how to reproduce the issue - this is not one of the issue
where the
> pure stacktrace is conclusive.
>

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer           norBIT GmbH             Tel.
+49-4931-918175-31
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)             Rheinstraße 13          Fax.
+49-4931-918175-50
https://www.norbit.de
> QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on
FreeNode