[QGIS-Developer] non-standard-library Python modules available to QGIS plugins

Raphael Das Gupta raphael.das.gupta at hsr.ch
Tue Apr 23 04:51:15 PDT 2019

Heya all

What Python modules (beyond the "qgis" module provided by QGIS itself
and the ones built into the Python language or included in its standard
library) can QGIS plugins expect to be accessible?

Or asked the other way around: When packaging QGIS (e.g. for a Linux
distribution), what Python modules do I have to make available in its
Python, so that plugins may use it?

While one could probably determine this by looking at existing packaging
efforts, e.g. the dependencies of Ubuntu package "python3-qgis" from
https://qgis.org/ubuntu-ltr, I wonder whether this isn't already
documented somewhere, as this should be of interest for both plugin
authors and application packagers.

My context: I'm trying to improve the QGIS experience on NixOS and other
NixPkgs-based installations and would like to do that "right" rather
than basing my changes on guesswork. I've collected my current findings
on https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/issues/59842

Kind regards,
Raphael