[QGIS-Developer] GDAL Coordinate System Barn Raising follow up

Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez eduardo.rojas at soltig.net
Tue Apr 30 13:05:38 PDT 2019

Hi all!

I have been invited to the first Open Source Conference on GIS and Remote
Sensing in Costa Rica, part of the Geo For All, since I have been a devout
follower of PROJ, GDAL and QGIS. I think it is a great opportunity to
explain the way in which coordinate reference systems are implemented and
used in software such as QGIS that are used by end users that do not
necessarily understand the complexity of such developments.

I want to promote the initiative "/GDAL Coordinate System Barn Raising/"
because in Costa Rica  has recently been a change of CRS - from CRTM05 (EPSG
5367) to CR-SIRGAS (EPSG 8909) - this is a hot topic at this moment. I want
to be able to explain how is the development and implementation of the CRS
and how they arrive at softwares like QGIS that are used by end users with
different skill levels.

I've been talking to Even Rouault from PROJ about the new GDAL Coordinate
System Barn Raising and how this affects the final users of softwares like
QGIS and PostgreSQL / PostGIS.

for QGIS users, I have the following: Even told me: "/From what I've
understood, PostGIS will still ship its spatial_ref_sys.sql database (since
it is part of its user visible surface), and will so have to refresh it
regularly from the PROJ database. For QGIS, I think the intent will be to
use ultimately the PROJ database/" "/...Will require all QGIS builds to use
PROJ 6/"

Now this, makes me the following question: if PROJ already  contains the new
CRS CR-SIRGAS (8909) according to this commit
https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/1368.
QGIS would have to implement the new PROJ6 so that users here in CR can have
access to the new CRS. however, this I suppose, is planned for the version
QGIS 3.8 What generates me doubt is how is it going to be handled with the
QGIS LTR version?

in other words, how QGIS will handle the updates of the new coordinate
reference systems? Is a new version required each time? or can they be
updated by a pointreleases?

I think many countries are on track to continue updating the CRS and I want
to know how QGIS is going to be maintained with the most up-to-date EPSG
databases.

this in order to be able to explain to the users of QGIS here in CR how it
is expected to implement the update of the new CR-SIRGAS (8909) Since many
governmental institutions currently use QGIS for their daily processes.

Thank you very much for the help in this topic.

-----
Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez
Analista en SIG
SOLTIG