[QGIS-Developer] On github, gitlab, and imperialist nations screwing us all over...

Vincent Picavet (ml) vincent.ml at oslandia.com
Thu Aug 1 00:37:42 PDT 2019

Hi Nyall, all,

On 01/08/2019 06:26, Nyall Dawson wrote:
> Well, I've got to say upfront that we WERE warned about the dangers of
> this happening by members of our community, and now the worst IS
> happening and Github has started blocking access to projects from
> certain regions.
>
> See https://www.linuxinsider.com/story/86154.html, but long story
> short, GitHub is now blocking users in Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea
> and Syria from accessing its services to comply with U.S. trade
> control laws. I'm unsure if we're directly affected yet by this, but
> the wording on Github's notice is very vague: " GitHub MAY allow users
> in or ordinarily resident in countries and territories subject to U.S.
> sanctions to access CERTAIN free GitHub.com services for PERSONAL
> COMMUNICATIONS " (emphasis added by me).
>
> What can/should we do in response to this?

While the impact of this decision is still very minor for us right now,
as you say it is a very good illustration on how putting us in a vendor
lock-in situation is bad.

I would say that it is not too late to re-work on a self-hosted GitLab
instance, which would be more future-proof. That would need a great deal
of efforts though, and would require specific funding for the
forthcoming non-funny tasks.

At Oslandia, we would be willing to help, if it is the path chosen by
the community.

A Git mirror would be great of course, but does not solve the full problem.

And personally, this kind of attack against free information and
knowledge is a concern, for sure.

Best regards,
Vincent