[QGIS-Developer] Pull request #30647 - review / discuss during hackfest?

Áron Gergely aron.gergely at rasterra.nl
Sat Aug 24 06:06:52 PDT 2019

Hello Nyall and all contributors,

I while ago I made a PR to improve on the 'world' easter egg (have
better data under it),
as well as adding two more layers:

  - province/state boundaries
  - disputed borders

Those would not be added to the canvas when invoking the 'world' easter
egg but could be used in the CRS selection window and as default layer
in a project template.

Nyall was one of the people who said he would be happy to see this merged,
so he could work on a few ideas around it (mainly what I mentioned
above: CRS selection window and project template) before the feature
freeze on August 30th.

Here is the PR:
https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/30647

I know that there are mixed opinions about shipping data with QGIS -
therefore I thought it would be handy to discuss and decide during the
hackfest whether this PR should be merged or not as it is.

I also have my own concerns, mainly about starting to manage data, and
their processing pipelines which I think is not a good idea, (discussion
on the PR is starting to head in that direction now)

Id be glad for to hear your thoughts on this.

And if you are here in Bucharest too, I would be happy to sit together
and have a chat about it;
can also sum up the story if you want to have a quick understanding
without reading all comments / commit messages.

Thanks,

Best regards,
Aron