[QGIS-Developer] Profile plugins

Javier Becerra Elcinto javier at panoimagen.com
Tue Aug 27 01:54:41 PDT 2019

Hi Paolo:

(Current maintainers of ProfileTool here.)

I agree with you that having multiple plugins for the same task (given
the limited resources available) seems far from an ideal situation, and
would be glad to collaborate with other developers to join forces in a
unified solution.

I am not aware of the situation of the other plugins at the moment, (we
checked on both "VoGIS Profile Tool" and "qProf" and decided to work on
Profile Tool when we had to make a choice), but here goes my status
report on Profile Tool codebase/functionality/documentation/support. It
would be nice if we could get a feature list from the other plugins, see
what is missing/what users find important in every plugin, and trace a
'unification routemap' from there.

Codebase:

-We made quite a refactoring effort during migration to QGis 3 to keep
ui and calculations mostly separated. There are still some minor changes
to do, but we are close to get there.

-We have no unit tests, and this is something that should be worked on.

-Some parts of the code would appreciate a little love to use more
pythonic/dry constructions.

-We got rid of most of the stability issues (crashes and python errors),
though some may still remain.

Functionality:

-Profile plotted along an interactively defined path, a polyline
selected interactively or a vector layer.

-Elevation information can be taken from raster and mesh layers.
Multiple layers can be added to obtain several profiles simultaneously.

-Profile can show height (i.e. the raster value), or slope (in % or deg)

-Profile can be sampled all along the input line or only on specified
input points.

-Profiles can be exported as an image with axes, labels etc in png or
svg format, and as a 3D polyline / 2D profile on dxf format (using
pyqtgraph backend) and also PDF and PostScript when using Matplotlib.

-Profile can be exported in text/csv format (on the table tab).

-This is experimental and not documented, but thanks to refactoring
ProfileTool can be controlled from another plugin/algorithm, feeding
points programatically to create a 'live' profile.

-Supports PyQtGraph or Matplotlib backend (not really sure on why there
is a need to support both backends).

-GUI feels a bit crowded, with many controls and tabs, I think that we
can do better.

Documentation

-No user manual, there are however some tutorials available on blogs,
webs, etc.

-Not much code documentation.

Support:

-We are currently on maintenance mode, fixing bugs and making minor
modifications/adding small features when possible, but we have less time
and resources to work on this than we would like. Next year we may be
able to put some more work on it.

Regards,

Javier

--

Javier Becerra Elcinto

/Dr. Ing. de Telecomunicación/

/Director Técnico/

*PANOimagen, s.l.*

*Dirección:*

Calle Baltasar Gracián Nº13 - Oficina 3

26006 Logroño, La Rioja (Spain)

*Teléfono:*

+34 941 01 99 88 móvil:+34 680 257 524

*Web:*

www.panoimagen.com <http://www.panoimagen.com/>
*e-mail:*javier at panoimagen.com <mailto:javier at panoimagen.com>

<https://twitter.com/panoimagen?lang=es> facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/panoimagen/>
<https://es.linkedin.com/company/panoimagen> github
<https://github.com/PANOimagen>

De acuerdo con lo establecido por el Reglamento (UE) 2016/679, en
materia de Protección de datos, le informamos que el Responsable del
Tratamiento de sus datos es PANOIMAGEN, S.L. Utilizamos sus datos para
prestarle los servicios que nos ha solicitado así como enviarle
comunicaciones profesionales que sean de su interés.  Legitimados en el
interés legítimo del responsable. No se cederán sus datos a terceros
salvo obligación legal. Así mismo, le informamos que tiene derecho a
acceder, rectificar y suprimir los datos, así como otros derechos,
indicados en la información adicional, que puede ejercer en
info at panoimagen.com <mailto:info at panoimagen.com>Este mensaje y sus
archivos adjuntos van dirigidos exclusivamente a su destinatario,
pudiendo contener información confidencial sometida a secreto
profesional. No está permitida su reproducción o distribución sin
nuestra autorización expresa. Si usted no es el destinatario final por
favor elimínelo e infórmenos por esta vía.