[QGIS-Developer] how compatible .qml files are ?

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Aug 28 09:42:15 PDT 2019

Hi Sandro,

On 28/08/19 17:43, Sandro Santilli wrote:
> I just filed https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/issues/31471 after finding
> out that a .qml file created with QGIS 1.9.0 is not fully honoured
> with curretn QGIS master (and I think 3.4.0 as well).
>
> Yes, I know 1.9.0 is old but... is this level of backward
> compatibility supposed to work ? Or are there tools to convert
> saved styles across versions ?

my understanding is that maintaining compatibility is just too hard to
achieve, and we never promised to our users.
What I always recommend in training and support is to convert projects
from one version to the next, as this should be mostly handled correctly.
Cheers.
--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu
QGIS.ORG Chair: