[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Screen Recording Request on macOS

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:19:26 PST 2019

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 11:02, Tim Sutton <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I got a strange security popup on my Mac today saying QGIS 3.10 would like permission to record my screen:
>
> I know that these messages can often be related to non-obvious functionality such as colour pickers etc. but it is a bit alarming. Has anyone else encountered this / does anyone have an explanation for what is going on?

The color picker is the only thing I'm aware of in QGIS which is
grabbing the screen contents.

I'm not sure why this message won't only suddenly be appearing now
though. I suspect its' either:
1. A macos update has changed something
2. A qt update means that the qt method we use to grab a portion of
the screen to sample colors has changed behavior on macos

The message is rather misleading though -- if it said "capture part of
the screen" rather then "record" I'd be happier. FWIW, I think we'll
need to eventually change the API used to do the color picking on
linux sessions running with wayland, which will result in a similar
warning message. Not sure about Windows, but I suspect at some stage
the security risk of allowing any application to grab whole desktop
screenshots will eventually result in similar warnings being shown....

Nyall