[QGIS-Developer] Why was selection tool behaviour changed in 3.x?

Mars Sjoden marsofearth at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 17:10:04 PST 2019

I have been using QGIS 3.x for a good solid year, and have come to conclude
that the New CLICK + CLICK method is not intuitive, and I have been finding
it buggy (at least on Mac).
I have been hoping that performance, accuracy and efficiency would improve
with the Vertex Tool in 3.x but it has not (at least on Mac)
I have used many CAD software over the years (AutoCAD, FreeCad,
Vectorworks, Inventor, Sketchup/Layout), and am not familiar with this
unconventional Click+Click method for moving nodes/features.  Perhaps this
is a Windows UI thing?

Besides the issue with having to re-wire the brain to the Click+Click
method of the Vertex Tool, the moving of a node is buggy.
33% of the time Left Click is either not registered or is registering as a
selection box.

I have read the arguments FOR Click+Click, perhaps if it actually worked I
would be okay with it.

It appears there are two Vertex Tools states being used contextually.  The
Vertex Selection Tool state and the Vertex Move Tool state.  It seems in my
case the Vertex Tool defaults to a selection state much too often no matter
how close to the bullseye I click.
Link to video illustrating the issue

 QGIS 3.x Vertex Tool Bug.mp4
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XKiayJF2fUKlKrtK2sS6new2T77lxAXB/view?usp=drive_web>