[QGIS-Developer] Find unmaintained plugins

Thomas Baumann rdbath.regiodata at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 04:53:54 PST 2019

Hello qgis-devs,

I made the experience that there are QGIS-plugins which are not maintained
anymore.
Example:
http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing-plugin-deprecated-td5366686.html

Recently I asked some maintainers if they have plans to update their
plugins to be QGIS3-ready because I was willing to update them if the
maintainer wouldn't do it... but again I got the impression that some
plugins are not maintained anymore.
Example:
https://github.com/NathanW2/selection-sets/issues/5

Now that there is the change from QGIS2 to QGIS3 some unmaintained plugins
will just dissapear like through a "natural selection". But in one or two
years there could again be lots of unmaintained plugins which could have
bugs that slow down qgis or make them unstable like it happened with the
Rectangles-Ovals-Digitizing-plugin (
https://github.com/vinayan/RectOvalDigitPlugin/issues/6 ).

Wouldn't it make sense to check once a year if all plugins are still
maintained?

You could for example use something like LimeSurvey (
https://www.limesurvey.org/community ) and ask every maintainer to respond
if they still feel responsible for the plugin. In the backend of Limesurvey
you have a database with the responses so it should be quite easy to
automatically synchronize the results with your repository-items.
This way the unmaintained plugins could be marked as deprecated if no
response is sent back.

Just my two cents...

regards,
Thomas