[QGIS-Developer] Windows only version of a QGIS 2.18x plugin

Christina.Ratcliff at csiro.au Christina.Ratcliff at csiro.au
Tue Feb 5 22:28:46 PST 2019

Hi QGIS dev list,

I have just uploaded a new QGIS 2.18.x plugin called PAT - Precision Agriculture Tools.  It relies on VESPER,  a Windows only bit of software so therefore I went ahead writing a Windows only plugin using QGIS 2.18.x and  the non-QGIS Python dependencies of rasterio, Fiona, geopandas and our pyprecag package.

The majority of our users are Windows users and are the likes of Farmers and Ag consultants with no programming experience and very little QGIS experience which also led to the decision of making PAT a Windows only plugin. I have developed a series of dependency checks based on the Windows environment and create a Windows batchfile that the user can launch to install the Python dependencies correctly for use with QGIS.

On uploading to the QGIS repository I have been advised by @pcav (see https://github.com/CSIRO-Precision-Agriculture/PAT_QGIS_Plugin/issues/7 ) that PAT must support Linux and OSX operating environments. I have had a look on https://plugins.qgis.org/ and I cannot find where this is listed in bullet points under how to add your plugin to this repository as a requirement for the approval of plugins. @pcav advised that I email this list regarding this issue.

Is it acceptable to add a line in the metadata.txt file clearly pointing out that this plugin is to be used in Windows only and will it still be approved for the QGIS plugin repository?

If not what are my options?
Are there any guides on how to best setup and test QGIS plugins for Linux and OSX environments? I only have access to Windows at the moment and I am a novice at Python programming in these other environments.

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Christina Ratcliff

PLEASE NOTE