[QGIS-Developer] Windows only version of a QGIS 2.18x plugin

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Feb 6 03:04:12 PST 2019

Hi all,

On 06/02/19 09:42, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:

> If you prefer to put it in QGIS repo: just add a big note in the
> metadata.txt description that this plugin is only usable with vesper and
> windows. And maybe do an OS check in the __init__ for illiterate users ;-)

I respectfully disagree with that: at the very core of the QGIS project
it stands the idea of letting everybody use the best possible GIS,
without discrimination. This kind of approach would in fact favour
Windows users. I have no issue if someone wants to create their own
repo, as suggested by Richard, but the official one IMHO should remain
platform-independent. I'm now dealing with CUDA, thanks Nyall for
letting me know. Please let me know if you know of other plugins in the
same situation.
I would appreciate avoiding plugin approval until the discussion has
come to a shared conclusion.
Thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu