[QGIS-Developer] Windows only version of a QGIS 2.18x plugin

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Wed Feb 6 08:46:15 PST 2019

Hi

On 2/6/19 5:28 PM, Stefan Steiger wrote:

> The problem with metadata is that if you use it, you have no way to
> easily know if something (a  group of plugins) uses a
> platform-specific plugin.
>

> For example, in ubuntu, I can choose:
>
> -          Official  (secure)
>
> -          Universe (insecure/half-legal)
>
> -          Partner (copyrighted/patented)
>
> -          and of course custom repos
>

> So if somebody or some tutorial tells me to add the « universe » repo,
> I know instantly not to do that on a server or in a security-critical
> situation.
>

> If it instead would tell me to install package x, which then installs
> 20 other packages, which then each install more packages – how do I
> even filter that information if I have per-package metadata ?  I
> wouldn’t even use metadata for that, because something might run on
> Linux, but not on your specific version, for example ARM processor on
> Linux Chromebook. You’ll have to subdivide by processor for binaries.
>  Plugins can depend on other plugins.
>

> It might be even better to have 5 repositories:
>
> All-platforms, Windows-only, Linux-Only, Mac-Only, Rest-of-the-world
>
> So if your plugin works on Windows and Linux, you just upload it to
> the 2 repositories, and finished.
>

> If somebody then tells me to add a „windows only“ plugin, I know to
> steer clear of that shit if I use Linux, and vice-versa.
>
> And that without having to lookup metadata.

I agree that if we want to have plugins sorted by their legality or
other somehow dubious practices, separate repositories are a good way to go.

Plugins which only support a subset of possible platforms are in no way
more nor less critical than any other plugin which claims to support all
platforms.

The metadata we talk about here is not something to lookup by people on
a regular basis, but for

- the plugin manager to check if it's suitable for the current platoform
(i.e. it will not even offer me to install it on my Linux machine), just
like Ubuntu won't even offer arm packages if it's running on a x86_64
machine.

- general information purpose on the plugin website

Matthias