[QGIS-Developer] Request for Change of UserAgent

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Feb 20 08:30:39 PST 2019

Hi Devs, PSC,

I had a short talk on IRC to 'Firefishy' the person who runs
tile.openstreetmap.org CDN
(in bcc, and see: http://irclogs.geoapt.com/qgis/%23qgis.2019-02-20.log)

In short: he/osm has an issue with QGIS using 'Mozilla/5.0 ....' as
User-Agent header, but QGIS NOT behaving as a true browser.

He explains that the tricks to create their abuse filters do not work on
QGIS because (for example) we do not honor cookies.

I asked this earlier:

http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/QGIS-Developer-Do-we-have-a-User-Agent-string-for-QGIS-td5360740.html

But in my opinion now is time to change our default UserAgent.

In the email thread above people were afraid that certain wms proxies
would block us, but I think we should just try.

IF we have proxy troubles, we can change the UserAgent per service? For
example change the UserAgent only for OSM related services.
Mmm, is it possible to do that via Python...

I think that we should honor requests from a colleague-FOSS-service. He
notes that they are exceeding 17000 tile requests per second at peaks...

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde