[QGIS-Developer] MacOS and touchbar

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Feb 22 13:34:40 PST 2019

Hi list,

This is just a heads up for any MacOS developers -- there's been some
upstream work recently on Qt and handling the MacOS touchbar. There's
two separate pieces of work here:

1. A (proposed) upstream Qt class - QMacTouchBar. Read more here:
https://www.kdab.com/qmactouchbar-has-landed/
Looks good in that it's intended to be part of the Qt library.

2. QtCreator's own implementation of touchbar handling - see
https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/commit/?id=3c5650e514d6d8bad86a54a037e550db7cc19a71
This one actually looks a lot nicer then QMacTouchBar, because it
allows for "nested" touchbars based on QAction.

If any MacOS developers* are motivated, I'd suggest [2] could be
pulled into the QGIS mac native library and used throughout QGIS.

Nyall

( * I'm neither a mac user nor a fan of the touchbar concept, so aside
from this heads-up I personally won't be pursuing this further)