[QGIS-Developer] MacOS and touchbar

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 24 14:40:00 PST 2019

On Sun, 24 Feb 2019 at 06:03, Denis Rouzaud <denis.rouzaud at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2019, 23:14 Tim Sutton, <tim at kartoza.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Nyall
>>

>> On 23 Feb 2019, at 01:34, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> This is just a heads up for any MacOS developers -- there's been some
>> upstream work recently on Qt and handling the MacOS touchbar. There's
>> two separate pieces of work here:
>>
>> 1. A (proposed) upstream Qt class - QMacTouchBar. Read more here:
>> https://www.kdab.com/qmactouchbar-has-landed/
>> Looks good in that it's intended to be part of the Qt library.
>>
>> 2. QtCreator's own implementation of touchbar handling - see
>> https://code.qt.io/cgit/qt-creator/qt-creator.git/commit/?id=3c5650e514d6d8bad86a54a037e550db7cc19a71
>> This one actually looks a lot nicer then QMacTouchBar, because it
>> allows for "nested" touchbars based on QAction.
>>
>> If any MacOS developers* are motivated, I'd suggest [2] could be
>> pulled into the QGIS mac native library and used throughout QGIS.
>>

>> I wonder if it is worth spending any effort on this? My experience from having a Touch Bar on my Mac is that I never use it, and when I do because I have to (e.g. to adjust volume or brightness), I wish I had keys rather. Maybe others do find it useful and I am an outlier, but without a ground swell of eager users, I think we might just be wasting effort (and bloating out code) on something that users won’t use.
>>
>> I love Macs but the Touch Bar == fail for me.
>>
> It took me a while to use it, but I find it very handy for some softwares. The main fail for me is the missing physical esacpe key. But I guess, touch bar was not designed for him users. The other fail is that it's only available for Macbook pro users.
>
> I had also a look and was thinking of taking example of Qt Creator's implementation. It would be nice to configure the shortcuts for the touchbar.
>
> But as Tim pointed out, it's quite a big effort for a very few users. I was thinking to do this during hackfest. Let's see!

I keep getting tempted by https://palettegear.com/ , just for the "new
toy" factor. But everytime I think about it, I actually can't see any
practical use for them in QGIS which would improve a real-life
application use case. I think the touch bar falls into a similar
category.

The best use case I can come up with would be shortcuts for different
map themes, but that could just as easily be addressed by adding
ctrl+1, ctrl+2, etc keyboard shortcuts. And then everyone could take
advantage of them.

Nyall