[QGIS-Developer] Is it just me, or is sip totally broken?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Jan 7 03:34:05 PST 2019

Hi all,

I have observed the same in the past.

This explanation sounds very reasonable, Martin.

Are you convinced that the proper solution will be a /ReleaseReference/
annotation?

I would assume that the current information is sufficient for sip /
sipify to generate proper bindings without a new annotation.

 From what I understand, sip creates an internal subclass that forwards
virtual methods to their python implementations. I would assume that the
destructor of this subclass can be used to trigger the garbage
collection / decreasing the ref counter and the reference counter should
be increased when the object is sent through a /Transfer/ annotated
function parameter.

If that works, there's still work to be done, but the fix wouldn't
affect the QGIS source itself.

Matthias