[QGIS-Developer] Proposal for QGIS Documentation

matteo matteo.ghetta at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 10:25:05 PST 2019

Hi all,

I want to raise some proposal for the documentation process of QGIS. I
think that we can all agree that the documentation is our weak part: no
matters if we have some budget or not, but even with sponsors, docs are
months away to be up to date with the code. We have an endless list of
issues that grows and grows.

BTW: this is nobody fault, we are just to few doc writers, that's it

Furthermore there are some PR stacked from months [0] (with and without
reviews).

What I want to propose is a system similar to the coding one: a kind of
stale bot that closes PR automatically after a while. Actually I'd like
to go a step further: if the PR is made by a person with writing rights
than the PR is automatically merged (if the Travis is happy) while if
the person has not commit rights, then the PR is closed automatically to
prevent really ugly docs (not sure if this is achievable).

I think we spent a lot of efforts on "appearance" of the docs rather
then contents (again, nobody fault, just me that prefers contents than
appearance).

Personally I'd prefer to have updated manuals and correct all the rest
in a second moment. With the fix me button on each page and with
Alexandre's features that allows to see images directly on the repo it
is definitely more easy also for not skilled people to correct some
mistake than to add new text from scratch.

I'm repeating again: this is not an attack on anyone, it is just what
came into my mind: AKA my 2 cents ;)

Hoping to start a discussion

Cheers

Matteo