[QGIS-Developer] documentation rules (was [qgis/QGIS-Enhancement-Proposals] Translation of .qgs project files (#90))

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 13:58:20 PST 2019

On Thu, 17 Jan 2019 at 17:15, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> On 16/01/19 23:42, Nyall Dawson wrote:
>
> > So again, I'm +1 to the policy, but only if it's enforced
> > automatically on Travis by an appropriate meta unit test.
>
> agreed
>
> > I think we could do this by some rules like:
> > - if a commit message has [feature] or [needs-docs], then the body of
> > the message must contain at least 200(?) characters OR contain a link
> > to a PR on the documentation repo (detected via regex)
> > - feature commits must also contain a link to an image/video/blogpost
> > illustrating the feature (the test would just check to ensure that
> > there's at least one http(s):// link in the commit body). We can add a
> > specific [no-pic] tag for features which explicitly DON'T need a
> > picture (e.g. API feature additions, server specific features which
> > don't have any user-facing UI changes)
> I'd prefer having all the material in the manual. external links can
> break anytime, and after a while we'll end up with lots of dead links.

But we aren't requiring that the code PR comes with a documentation
PR, are we? I was thinking more that if the original code commit has a
link to a blog post, the documentation team would have a detailed
write up (likely with pictures) which they could use as a basis for
the actual QGIS documentation to be written from.

Nyall