[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] QGIS 2.18 EOL approaching?

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Mon Jan 21 02:38:05 PST 2019

Hi Tom,

On Mon, 21. Jan 2019 at 02:10:19 -0700, Tom Chadwin wrote:
> I wanted to check on this. If 2.18 is now "unsupported", and 3.4 is not yet
> LTR (my understanding was that this happens when 3.6 is released), does that
> not mean we have no current supported LTR?

> I'm sure this is all just down to me misunderstanding things, but I don't
> like the idea of having to choose between unsupported old LTR, or a version
> which has not yet become LTR.

Both are LTRs since their release.  But 2.18 has seen it's last point release -
so there won't any more fixes - in that sense it's now unsupported.

But it's still downloadable and installable until the current release 3.4,
which is also LTR, is replaced by the next release 3.6.

We run two package repositories (for Debian/Ubuntu and Windows) because we
usually have a current and a LTR release.  Currently the latest LTR and the
current release are identical.  It doesn't make much sense to me to put the
same version in two repositories and hence we keep the LTR that is different
from the current release in the long term package repositories, while the
latest LTR is also the current release.

But that doesn't make 3.4 less an LTR.

Jürgen

Software Engineer           D-26506 Norden             http://www.norbit.de
QGIS release manager (PSC)  Germany                    IRC: jef on FreeNode