[QGIS-Developer] Why is .qgz the default format?

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Mon Jan 21 05:56:53 PST 2019

Hi all,

I like the qgz format for the possibilities it will offer in the future.
But have to agree at the moment we are missing many of the advantages
while the drawbacks become apparent.

On 1/21/19 2:40 PM, Hugo Mercier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 21/01/2019 14:19, RĂ©gis Haubourg wrote:
>> I really don't know what to do:
>>
>> - switch back to classical qgs and let qgz get maturity. (But I'm afraid
>> we'll have very few real feedback then, just like during 3.0-3.2 period)

I bet for most people it doesn't make a big difference, they use the GUI
as a frontend to configure their projects.

>> - give up qgz and bet on another option to offer a container (geopackage )
-1, I think we shouldn't turn into a road where we'll wonder how to
embed shapefiles and friends into a sqlite based format ;P
>> - totally switch to qgz and offer a python lib for easing maintenance
>> tasks ?

I wonder a bit how that could be done. For sysadmins, the editor of
their preference and (power-)shell scripts are normally the weapons of
choice, by doing that we'll force everyone to use python for these
tasks, without checking if it's the right tool for the job / for person
who does the job.

Currently I'm inclined to prefer Andreas' proposal to have a
(well-hidden advanced) setting to let power-users and admins switch the
default format.

Bests

Matthias