[QGIS-Developer] New version notifications

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Mon Jun 3 22:38:05 PDT 2019

On 04/06/2019 07.11, Etienne Trimaille wrote:
> In QGIS Settings -> "General", you can disable "Check QGIS version".
>
> If you are deploying QGIS with an INI file, you can do it
> programmatically. You can hide this checkbox because QGIS version is
> managed by the system administrator.
> https://docs.qgis.org/3.4/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/qgis_configuration.html#deploying-qgis-within-an-organization
>
> Le mar. 4 juin 2019 à 06:55, Bernhard Ströbl <bernhard.stroebl at jena.de
> <mailto:bernhard.stroebl at jena.de>> a écrit :
>
>     On that occasion:
>
>     how can I deactivate the new version information? I get frequent calls
>     from my users asking if they need to do something. It's kind of
>     annoying
>     because we use LTS.

In my view, this should be DISabled by default, and being asked (at
startup?) if the user wants this.

It is actually a 'phone home' mechanisme, which I personally dislike
(even if developers developed it as 'service for users').

Quickmapservices plugin does the same (and stalls QGIS till timeout if
you network/proxy issues).

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde