[QGIS-Developer] Why does the QGIS 3 OSGeo4W Shell Default to Python 2

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Tue Jun 4 12:03:51 PDT 2019

On 6/4/19 11:22, C Hamilton wrote:
> Why does the QGIS 3 OSGeo4W shell default to python 2 when QGIS is running
> python 3? I have had users get confused with this and it makes no sense to
> me. For that matter why is python 2 still a part of the QGIS 3 application?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Calvin

The installer is built directly from OSGeo4w which supports both Python
2 and 3, it is not customized for QGIS 3 other than to drop non-required
files that QGIS doesn't use. I suppose you could say that python 2 is
one of those things that shouldn't be required.

I also ran into a minor issue that python3 didn't work until running the
python3_env.bat in a session.

So I'm +1 for making python3 the default in osgeo4w, we should probably
forward that request to osgeo4w.

Perhaps the builders have a different nifty work around when building
the QGIS installer (a custom osgeo4w bat file might suffice).

Thanks,
Alex