[QGIS-Developer] QGIS Bug Squash party

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Fri Jun 7 08:03:38 PDT 2019

Hi devs,

We changed our bug tracking tool. One of the goals is to have more
people doing bug triage, confirming bug reports, providing examples,
screenshots and so on. We need more [power] users involved and more
developers on the “bug triage” team.

Let’s take advantage of all these discussions around the tool and the
changes introduced, to focus on what is really important: to have more
people involved in QGIS testing to provide more stable releases. To tool
is not the goal.

We need to clean up our bug/feature request queue. We already had good
proposals here on the list, regarding cleaning old issues and pointing
to new policies regarding issue lifetime. We just need more action!

Proposal

My proposal is to publish a post on our blog calling for a huge QGIS Bug
Squash party, for two days, making all users aware of this new tool and
calling them for this activity. We can ask them (for example) to
selected 5 issues they can improve, by providing more feedback
(confirming a bug report in current 3.x version, for example) or by
subscribing a feature request they found important.

To provide live support for all users involved in the party, I would
like to create a Doodle to make sure we have at least one developer
available on IRC/Gitter (for the all 48 hours) where people can discuss
what to do with ticket X. Each developer would subscribe a 4 hour period
(that’s the usual watchkeeping period for sailors).

I also would like to propose to the PSC/this developer list that current
committers can have the “triage” role on qgis/QGIS - upon request - to
have more people doing bug triage. Régis and Saber already mentioned
this limitation regarding issue management and both are well known
contributors (and Saber can follow 3D tickets ;-)) For those seeking to
join the “bug triage” team, they just need to have a PR committed (and
they will be rewarded).

QGIS Bug Squash party goal

If we need to define a goal, it would be: cleanup 2/3 of the queue (and
keep the queue below 1000 issues).

Comments

Please provide comments about this proposal. For the exact dates for the
party, I suggest 14 and 15 (next week) to have a regular working day
(for those able to work on QGIS on their daily jobs) and Saturday, for
the ones only working on their spare time.

Regards,

J. Gustavo
--
Jorge Gustavo Rocha