[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 2 Report

Ismail Sunni imajimatika at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 22:42:41 PDT 2019

Hi Tim and Mathieu,

Yes, that issue was a blocker in week 1 [1]. I have discussed with Martin
and Peter. Martin suggests 3 alternatives for it:

   1. Using QtQuick --> Adding dependencies, it will need to go through QEP
   and so on
   2. Render it as a 3D object (like Tim said) --> too much work
   3. Doing as normal QWidget (like current implementation, the alternative
   that we chose)

I also feel that the current implementation is not what I expect. The first
proposal was also a floating widget. Unfortunately, I didn't know that it's
not possible by using QWidget on top of Qt3DWindow at that time I wrote the
proposal.

Here I am not sure what will happen (e.g. is current work mergeable or
not). Perhaps if I had some extra time left at the end of the GSoC project
timeline (I put some small buffer time) I can try to go with the 2nd
alternative.

Maybe Martin or Peter have some comments about this?

Anyway, thanks for the feedbacks, Tim and Mathieu!

[1] https://github.com/ismailsunni/QGIS/wiki/Week-1-Report

Ismail Sunni
ismailsunni.wordpress.com