[QGIS-Developer] saving a layer with the world_map.shp

Raymond Nijssen r.nijssen at terglobo.nl
Tue Jun 11 21:38:39 PDT 2019

A topologically more correct map is not easily to find, especially not
in a tiny (shp) file size. Here are some links to examples:

http://www.statsilk.com/maps/download-free-shapefile-maps

But for educating CRS, for quickly finding out where your just opened
dataset is, and for layout overview maps the current one is already very
useful.

To improve it we could:
1. Generalize a correct map in a topological way
2. Remove all administrative boundaries from the current map to avoid
people getting offended by disputed territories for example.

We should also watch out not to start shipping data packages with the
software! Before we know there might be world boundaries at different
scales and people starting to wonder why we do not provide cities,
rivers, roads, coffee corners, ... :)

But a good resource platform (for data, svg, png, styles) in QGIS could
make it easy to ship this kind of data in plugins and make it work for
all users. Which was my original question.

Kind regards,
Raymond