[QGIS-Developer] SSL Performance Overhead

Andrea Aime andrea.aime at geo-solutions.it
Mon Jun 17 04:03:40 PDT 2019

Hey all,
sorry to intrude, but I have a bit of related information.
GeoServer uses the same underlying stack as QGIS, at one point we noticed
that the
reading performance went down, upon investigation it turned out the JDBC
driver
started using SSL by default when available.

So we added a flag to turn off SSL and it indeed helped performance (but
not 10 times mind,
maybe 20-30% on OSM like map like the one rendering at geoserver.org, did
not try on simpler/smaller maps).
This was a few months ago, not 10 years ago, so yes, SSL encrypt/decrypt is
still indeed taking a toll.

Cheers
Andrea

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 12:46 PM Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch> wrote:

> On 6/17/19 12:16 PM, Martin Dobias wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 12:11 PM Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch>
> wrote:
> >> Wouldn't connection pooling be such a change. That certainly was
> >> introduced after.
> > Pooling was introduced to deal with multi-threaded rendering and
> > should not affect that. There always was a connection that was kept
> > alive while layer(s) using that connection existed.
>
> Interesting.
>
> I still can't see any good explanation for the overhead detected 10
> years ago, do you have an idea what this could be caused by?
>
> I just can't imagine that an enterprise level database like postgres
> would suffer from such an issue on the security side.
>
> Cheers Matthias

Regards, Andrea Aime == GeoServer Professional Services from the experts!
Visit http://goo.gl/it488V for more information. == Ing. Andrea Aime
@geowolf Technical Lead GeoSolutions S.A.S. Via di Montramito 3/A 55054
Massarosa (LU) phone: +39 0584 962313 fax: +39 0584 1660272 mob: +39 339
8844549 http://www.geo-solutions.it http://twitter.com/geosolutions_it
------------------------------------------------------- *Con riferimento
alla normativa sul trattamento dei dati personali (Reg. UE 2016/679 -
Regolamento generale sulla protezione dei dati “GDPR”), si precisa che ogni
circostanza inerente alla presente email (il suo contenuto, gli eventuali
allegati, etc.) è un dato la cui conoscenza è riservata al/i solo/i
destinatario/i indicati dallo scrivente. Se il messaggio Le è giunto per
errore, è tenuta/o a cancellarlo, ogni altra operazione è illecita. Le
sarei comunque grato se potesse darmene notizia. This email is intended
information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from
disclosure. We remind that - as provided by European Regulation 2016/679
“GDPR” - copying, dissemination or use of this e-mail or the information
herein by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
have received this email by mistake, please notify us immediately by
telephone or e-mail.*