[QGIS-Developer] SSL Performance Overhead

Stefan Steiger Steiger at cor-management.ch
Mon Jun 17 04:20:07 PDT 2019

One of our customers (Swiss National Bank) mandates the use of SSL in their internal LAN, even for DB connections.
Using anything but SSL is an insecure mode of communication, even in LAN.
RSA/DSA Accepted key-length is 2048 bit, recommended is 3072, ECC is 160 Bit, recommended 256.

-          Only latest version of OpenSSL allowed

-          Accepted TLS 1.1+, recommended TLS 1.2+

-          SSL Version 3.0 or older are explicitly forbidden

-          Sha-1 is disallowed, sha2/3 accepted @ hash length 256 Bit

-          Extended Validation certificates have to be used

-          Wildcards in fully qualified names not allowed

-          Accepted: CTR/CBC/CCM/EAX, recommended GCM

-          SSL accepted with forward secrecy Disabled, recommended Enabled

-          Recommended CryptRandom: /dev/random, /dev/urandom,

as per IT Security Baseline 2017-07-20