[QGIS-Developer] GSoC QGIS 3D Improvement: Week 3 Report

Ismail Sunni imajimatika at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 09:23:13 PDT 2019

Thanks, Nyall, Tim, and Luca

Do you think you'll bump into the same widget-over-3d issue as you
> encountered earlier here?

Yes, but I think the measurement dialog does not need to be always on top
(not like the navigation widget).  The difference :

- Both the navigation widget and the 3D map view must be seen when using
the navigation widget
- Measurement dialog can be below the 3D map view while using it, and the
user can see it after that.

So, it the limitation of QWidget on 3DWindows won't be a problem in this
case.

How are you planning on doing the actual 3d length calculation? AFAIK
> there's no API in core for this yet (but there really should be!).

Yeah, I stumble on that one. There is no measure between QgsPoint (but QGIS
has for QgsPointXY). I think I found another missing stuff related to
QgsPoint, but I forget.

I agree that we need to have this feature (it's natural to have one). I
tried to implement it actually. But, after the discussion with Martin, we
will do a simpler approach first by calculating the euclidean distance in
the map unit. From here, we will convert to another unit.

Thanks for the feedback Nyall

Best regards.

On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 9:48 PM Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 03:38, Ismail Sunni <imajimatika at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear QGIS developers
> >
> > Here is my 3rd-week report for my GSoC Project. You can read this report
> better with image and GIF in the weekly report wiki [4]. You can also check
> the project wiki page [3]. Comments and suggestions are welcome :)
> >

> Great progress again Ismail!
>
> >    - Implement measurement tool window (re-use the 2D version if
> possible)
>
> Do you think you'll bump into the same widget-over-3d issue as you
> encountered earlier here?
>
> How are you planning on doing the actual 3d length calculation? AFAIK
> there's no API in core for this yet (but there really should be!).
>
> Nyall
>

> > --
> > Ismail Sunni
> > ismailsunni.wordpress.com