[QGIS-Developer] Preferred way to set startup options on Windows and is qgis_global_settings.ini used or not

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Wed Jun 19 01:47:51 PDT 2019

Investigating a way to install QGIS in a large organisation, I'm looking
into the options to centrally setup some options.

As QGIS has a lot of configuration options, see:

https://docs.qgis.org/testing/en/docs/user_manual/introduction/qgis_configuration.html

it is pretty easy on a linux computer to set these options (either as
alias or just from the command line).

BUT: I miss (or I cannot find it) in our docs the best way to do this on
Windows? In qgis2 there was the qgis.bat file in which you could add
stuff, but nowadays (at least in the msi installer) the startup seems to
point to a qgis-bin.exe or qgis-bin-g7.exe file?
OR should I not use the options but the environment variables? And then
put them in qgis-bin.env?
I see there is still a qgis.bat ?? Is that used in the msi install (or
for the osgeo4w install)?
Or should I edit "Target" in the Window start thingie properties?

( a pointer to the docs is also ok :-) )

About qgis_global_settings.ini, in the above mentioned docs it is written:

--globalsettingsfile option
Using this option, you can specify the path for a Global Settings file
(.ini), also known as the Default Settings. The settings in the
specified file replace the original inline default ones, but the user
profiles’ settings will be set on top of those. The default global
settings is located in
your_QGIS_PKG_path/resources/qgis_global_settings.ini.

But what is this qgis_global_settings.ini in my install folder?
Is it used? (I do not think so, as if I change the content of it and
start a new profile, I cannot find my edits)
Or is it only meant as a 'template' for admins to use WHEN then use the
--globalsettingsfile option?

If the first: how?
If the last: I will then proably add some comments into this ini file,
and maybe rephrase the docs which talks about 'inline default ones'??

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde