[QGIS-Developer] Changelog for 3.8! ARgh!

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 17:52:23 PDT 2019

Hey all,

It just struck me that we're finalizing 3.8 in < 24 hours, and our
visual changelog is.... completely non-existent. As in, we have NO
entries, and not even a version number created yet.

This is far from ideal, since the visual changelog is basically the
only way we have of informing users of all the lovely new toys we've
spent the last 4 months slaving away at making. If users don't even
know these exist, there's basically no point in writing them :(

In the past I've spent considerable time in the lead up to a release
trawling through the git logs and adding dummy entries for all new
features/stuff to highlight, which a handful of others have then spent
HOURS fleshing out into pretty/nicely readable entries. Unfortunately
I have no spare time to do that this round.

Suffice to say, I think it's clear that this process was never great,
and has totally broken down this time.

It seems to me like Matthias' grant proposal covering documentation
Pull Requests would tie in very nicely here. If that proposal is
successful, and he can get the contents of feature pull requests
pushed to documentation PRs, then it's a natural step to extend this
and also push the same feature PR descriptions automatically to the
changelog.

So I have some questions:
1. Matthias: Do you think this would be a possible extension of your
proposal? How much extra would you need to cover it?
2. Tim: Does the changelog API already exist which would make this
possible? OR if not, would it be tricky/costly to develop?
3. How can we make this a reality? Who needs payment, and who can make
this payment happen?

-- OR --

4. Who is going to take this on for future releases and ensure we have
a changelog ready to go at launch time?

and finally, the most pertinent question right now:

5. Who the heck can get a changelog in place for 3.8.0? Who has 2-3
days spare they want to volunteer into getting this in place?

Nyall