[QGIS-Developer] [Qgis-psc] Changelog for 3.8! ARgh!

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Thu Jun 20 23:59:27 PDT 2019

Hi

> On 21 Jun 2019, at 02:52, Nyall Dawson <nyall.dawson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
> It just struck me that we're finalizing 3.8 in < 24 hours, and our
> visual changelog is.... completely non-existent. As in, we have NO
> entries, and not even a version number created yet.
>
> This is far from ideal, since the visual changelog is basically the
> only way we have of informing users of all the lovely new toys we've
> spent the last 4 months slaving away at making. If users don't even
> know these exist, there's basically no point in writing them :(
>
> In the past I've spent considerable time in the lead up to a release
> trawling through the git logs and adding dummy entries for all new
> features/stuff to highlight, which a handful of others have then spent
> HOURS fleshing out into pretty/nicely readable entries. Unfortunately
> I have no spare time to do that this round.
>
> Suffice to say, I think it's clear that this process was never great,
> and has totally broken down this time.
>
> It seems to me like Matthias' grant proposal covering documentation
> Pull Requests would tie in very nicely here. If that proposal is
> successful, and he can get the contents of feature pull requests
> pushed to documentation PRs, then it's a natural step to extend this
> and also push the same feature PR descriptions automatically to the
> changelog.

Amen!

> So I have some questions:
> 1. Matthias: Do you think this would be a possible extension of your
> proposal? How much extra would you need to cover it?
> 2. Tim: Does the changelog API already exist which would make this
> possible? OR if not, would it be tricky/costly to develop?

Yeah doing something like this was on our feature wish list. We could definitely add a githook to pop a new entry in - perhaps even get a screenshot if one was included in the PR message….

It would be great if we could get some financial support to do this, but otherwise Kartoza can donate some time. I’ve CC’d in Anita (Hapsari) who is the changelog maintainer so that she is aware of the discussion.

> 3. How can we make this a reality? Who needs payment, and who can make
> this payment happen?
>
> -- OR --
>
> 4. Who is going to take this on for future releases and ensure we have
> a changelog ready to go at launch time?
>
> and finally, the most pertinent question right now:
>
> 5. Who the heck can get a changelog in place for 3.8.0? Who has 2-3
> days spare they want to volunteer into getting this in place?

I think we can “volunteer” Admire from our company (who already helps Paolo as backup plugin repo admin) to get onto this.

Regards

Tim

> Nyall

—