[QGIS-Developer] Changelog for 3.8! ARgh!

Matthias Kuhn matthias at opengis.ch
Fri Jun 21 02:47:46 PDT 2019

Hi

On 6/21/19 9:03 AM, Tim Sutton wrote:
> Hi
>
>> On 21 Jun 2019, at 08:50, Matthias Kuhn <matthias at opengis.ch
>> <mailto:matthias at opengis.ch>> wrote:
>>

>> Yes, I think it would make a lot of sense to integrate the changelog
>> creation directly with labels into pull requests.
>>
>> Since projecta is also based on markdown this should all play nicely
>> together. And we could even add an (optional) #Changelog section to
>> the pull requests and some other tags to automatically set funder
>> etc. so one could already write the whole changelog entry during the
>> development cycle. That should easily pay back with all the volunteer
>> time that is saved during the already busy run up time to release!
>>
>> Resource wise, most the allocated time in the grant proposal is for
>> getting the service up and running and integrating with all the
>> notification hooks. Parsing the content and sending it to another API
>> should be pretty much straightforward. The main question would rather
>> be if creation of new versions can also be automated and how to
>> decide to which version a new feature should be sent (i.e. find out
>> the "current" version). The best match for this would probably be to
>> use github milestones. In the end I would say that this should
>> increase the offer by 20%.
>>
>> Tim, is everything ready on your end for that?
>
> So yes we would be happy to pitch in to help here. Admire can help
> more immediately by getting this changelog ready and we can work with
> Anita (Hapsari) to get things in place to support PR githook
> thing-a-me-doodahs. (See my reply to OP)

Great! I started with the changelog, but it's not even close to
finished, so whatever Admire gets too on Monday will be appreciated. And
of course whatever others get to meanwhile!

Concerning the changelog, I think there are too possibilities:

   * Integrate it into the service we are going to set up if the grant
proposal is accepted. This will already have some logic builtin to cover
things like also reacting to labels added after the PR is merged etc.

   * Bypass the grant proposal service and directly hook into the github
webhooks, which I think is what you propose.

I think the main advantage of the first one would be that it could be
integrated in a single tool and since we would be working on it already
it would be less effort. The second one would add some value to projecta
if it can be used for other projects too.

I'm happy to step back if the second one is preferred.

Regards

Matthias