[QGIS-Developer] QGIS 4.0 - let's start some early discussions!

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Tue Jun 25 20:45:07 PDT 2019

Hi Calvin,
thanks for your feedback from "out in the field", it's very valuable for
the project. I understand very well your frustration.

On 25/06/19 20:26, C Hamilton wrote:

> I don't know what the solution is, but just know that this is what some
> face and the less API breaks, better documentation, and better
> transition methods can make a huge difference for these offices.

The solution can only be investing more in documentation and in
migration tools. We held migration for as long as it was reasonably
possible, a move to Qt5 and Py3 was necessary at that stage.
The point is who is going to put these resources (money and, more
importantly, manpower).
I think QGIS.ORG and the whole community is doing miracles with our
limited budget, one could hardly do more.

> In the government users normally do not see the actual cost of ESRI
> licenses so if QGIS does not work out they just go back to ArcGIS. There
> are real benefits to QGIS. Users of ArcGIS occasionally feel the impact
> of the licenses being exhausted or the license server going down. QGIS
> does not have this problem. Additionally, QGIS normally runs faster,
> crashes, less, and can work with larger amounts of data.

Do you have hard evidence of these facts? It would be very useful to
share and to show it in the open.

> The one thing I see with many users is that they just want to do their
> job. They don't like redoing scripts they worked so hard on. They just
> want to run the software year after year and have it work.

so why they don't just keep on using 2.18 then? Of course it's
unsupported, and we recommend migrating, but we are not forcing users in
any way.
Cheers.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu