[QGIS-Developer] Sunrise, Sunset, Lunar Calculations

Nyall Dawson nyall.dawson at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 16:18:36 PDT 2019

On Fri, 28 Jun 2019 at 05:14, C Hamilton <adenaculture at gmail.com> wrote:

> How much interested would there be for a plugin to display sunrise and sunset information for a particular location on the earth's surface. Is anyone already working on this? There doesn't seem to be a capability for this, but perhaps I have missed it. Are there other astronomical calculations that would be worth while in QGIS? (Moon asimuth/position, phase)
>
> I a trying to get a sense of interest and also make sure I am not duplicating a capability someone is already working on.

This would be super-handy. I've needed this value in the past on
different projects, and would love to see an easy way to calculate it
in QGIS.

Can I suggest that the best form this would take would be a new
expression function? E.g. sunrise(point_in_wgs_84, target_date) ->
gives a time value in return. That would give maximum flexibility in
terms of use (mmmm, i like the idea of dynamically styling event
points using a different icon whether they occurred at night or day! I
could imagine this being used heavily alongside Time Manager) .

I'd love to see it in core, if you want to contribute it as a c++
function. I'm happy to mentor here, and writing new expression
functions is a great, self-contained way to dive into the QGIS code
base.

Nyall