[QGIS-Developer] Processing Grass Algorithm failing because of space in temp dir name

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Mar 1 05:40:04 PST 2019

On 01/03/2019 11.53, Richard Duivenvoorde wrote:
> (sorry, resending unencrypted... really don't know why all these mails
> get encrypted automagically)
>
> Just installed a crisp 3.4.5-1 QGIS for a Windows user who failed to
> run Grass algorithms.
>
> Looking into it, processing was complaining and showing it could not
> create a temporary directory:
>
> ERROR: Unable to create directory <grass7-User Name-16676>! Exiting

Ok, to answer this myself :-)

After debugging the grass code, it appears that grass.py was trying to
create this <grass7-User Name-16676> directory in a TMPDIR directory
that was not there anymore.

An old installed (and removed) program created TMPDIR as environment
variable pointing to some long (not excisting) path.
So the code threw a 'WindowsError' not shown in log or output.

Anyway: fixed by removing this TMPDIR variable.

We are already (re)setting all kind of env vars isn't it? Maybe also do
that with TMP TMPDIR and TEMP ?

Richard