[QGIS-Developer] Quantile (Equal Count) broken or is data borked?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Fri Mar 1 23:41:19 PST 2019

Hi,

I've been asked to see if I can add 'logarithmic' breaks to the
GraduatedSymbolRenderer.
I am right that it is missing, yes?

BUT: looking into current code and testing the available break modes I
happen to look at the Quantile (Equal Count) one with a random dataset I
had around:

https://duif.net/temp/QuantileEqualCount.png

Using more classes makes it even worse:

https://duif.net/temp/QuantileEqualCount2.png

As you see a lot of 'empty' zero classes.
If I google: "The quantile map tries to bin the same count of features
in each of the x classes."

As if the 'breaks'-algorithm cannot handle zero's or floats or negative
values ???

The spread is indeed funny, see:

https://duif.net/temp/EqualInterval.png

What do others think?
Am I misunderstanding things or is my data borked?

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde

ps cannot share the data yet... would be cool if there was a processing
algorithm called 'randomize points' or so :-)