[QGIS-Developer] Get rid of 'Manage Layers Toolbar', or not?

Carlo A. Bertelli (Charta s.r.l.) carlo.bertelli at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 11:10:27 PDT 2019

This is an old debate, GIS programs usually show a very cluttered
interface. It's matter of muscles: more icons, more tools, more power.
Uncluttering the interface would help noviced and power users. I think that
actions that are performed "per feature" (frequently) may benefit from
getting an icon (and a keyboard shortcut) for one-click actions, but
actions that are performed "per map" (relatively unfrequently) should not
get an icon. I'm very fond of the superposition of Layer and Browser panel
because they are mutually exclusive. You may add a layer than switch to the
layer level and manage it – two clicks, but very useful and not in the
front stage. How many times you add a layer to a map?
One thing that should be assured is the complete alignment of Layer -> Add
Layer menu and Browser panel.
I know showing a new icon helps advertising new features, but... let's find
another way, say adding a button to the splash screen...
My two boring cents (sorry!)