[QGIS-Developer] Enhancing recommendations text for metadata.txt (Was: QTiles3 with suboptimal name and repo entries)

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sun Mar 31 08:08:17 PDT 2019

Hi Stefan,
thanks for your suggestions. Replies below.

On 31/03/19 16:03, Stefan Keller wrote:

> 1. The plugin was renamed from QTiles to QTiles3
> 2. In metadata.txt of QTiles3 the 3 entries "homepage, tracker,
> repository" all are pointing to the original github repo of NextGIS
> [3], but the code for QTiles3 is not there. It's IMHO not yet made
> publicly available, except by the fact that Python code is always
> included in the zip uploaded to the QGIS repo.
>
> Ad 1: I think renaming a plugin just because it's upgraded to QGIS 3
> should be discouraged.

Agreed, I routinely do it. I'm not always successful convincing the
authors, unfortunately, and in some cases I publish the new plugin
nonetheless because of its usefulness.

> Ad 2: To me QGIS maintainers should somehow be able to check in a
> computer-supported way, if the plugin code uploaded is identical with
> the code repo indicated in metadata.txt.

right, currently it is quite unpractical to do it for all 1000+ plugins,
and for the 2-4 new or upgraded versions arriving daily.
could you please open a ticket on this?

> I'd like to propose to extend chapter "Recommendations" [4] with
> following addendums:
>
> * Don't rename the plugin title just because it's upgraded to a newer
> version like QGIS 3.
>
> * Check if source code uploaded to the QGIS plugin repo as zip is
> identical to "Code repository" indicated in metadata.txt.
>
> In addition I suggested adding "Requirements" as optional
> field/entry/line in metadata.txt" in another thread. But as a short
> term action (until a "Requirements" field/entry/line is adopted in
> metadata.txt) I'd also suggest this text in chapter "Recommendations"
> [4]:
>
> * Mention any requirements, dependencies and restrictions in the
> description text section (which can be multi-line). Examples of
> requirements, dependencies and restrictions are, if the plugin is
> running only on selected platforms, requires SW to be installed
> separately or some user account, but also if the plugin is spatially
> covering just some countries or regions.
>
> What do you think?

Your suggestions added.
Thanks.

--