[QGIS-Developer] GDAL Coordinate System Barn Raising follow up

Tim Sutton tim at kartoza.com
Wed May 1 12:45:28 PDT 2019

Hi

> On 30 Apr 2019, at 21:05, Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez <eduardo.rojas at soltig.net> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> I have been invited to the first Open Source Conference on GIS and Remote
> Sensing in Costa Rica, part of the Geo For All, since I have been a devout
> follower of PROJ, GDAL and QGIS. I think it is a great opportunity to
> explain the way in which coordinate reference systems are implemented and
> used in software such as QGIS that are used by end users that do not
> necessarily understand the complexity of such developments.
>
> I want to promote the initiative "/GDAL Coordinate System Barn Raising/"
> because in Costa Rica  has recently been a change of CRS - from CRTM05 (EPSG
> 5367) to CR-SIRGAS (EPSG 8909) - this is a hot topic at this moment. I want
> to be able to explain how is the development and implementation of the CRS
> and how they arrive at softwares like QGIS that are used by end users with
> different skill levels.
>
> I've been talking to Even Rouault from PROJ about the new GDAL Coordinate
> System Barn Raising and how this affects the final users of softwares like
> QGIS and PostgreSQL / PostGIS.
>
> for QGIS users, I have the following: Even told me: "/From what I've
> understood, PostGIS will still ship its spatial_ref_sys.sql database (since
> it is part of its user visible surface), and will so have to refresh it
> regularly from the PROJ database. For QGIS, I think the intent will be to
> use ultimately the PROJ database/" "/...Will require all QGIS builds to use
> PROJ 6/"
>
> Now this, makes me the following question: if PROJ already  contains the new
> CRS CR-SIRGAS (8909) according to this commit
> https://github.com/OSGeo/proj.4/pull/1368.
> QGIS would have to implement the new PROJ6 so that users here in CR can have
> access to the new CRS. however, this I suppose, is planned for the version
> QGIS 3.8 What generates me doubt is how is it going to be handled with the
> QGIS LTR version?
>
> in other words, how QGIS will handle the updates of the new coordinate
> reference systems? Is a new version required each time? or can they be
> updated by a pointreleases?
>
> I think many countries are on track to continue updating the CRS and I want
> to know how QGIS is going to be maintained with the most up-to-date EPSG
> databases.
>
> this in order to be able to explain to the users of QGIS here in CR how it
> is expected to implement the update of the new CR-SIRGAS (8909) Since many
> governmental institutions currently use QGIS for their daily processes.
>
> Thank you very much for the help in this topic.

I think the short answer is that QGIS 3.4 LTR will not be updated to support PROJ6. Being a LTR we are conservative about making any large scale changes to the code base.

Also Nyall recently posted some comments [1] that indicate that at the moment PROJ6 support will not directly use the PROJ CRS database, but rather load it into QGIS’ src.db with an updated version of crssync.

[1] https://github.com/qgis/QGIS/pull/9906

Regards

Tim

> -----