[QGIS-Developer] QGIS virtual layer incredibly slow

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu May 2 03:41:52 PDT 2019

Hi Matteo and Toto,

Seems like I am not the only one that suffers from this slowness.

The same query that takes about 40 secs in a virtual layer runs in 200ms
in Postgis. Now I know that there is a lot of overhead to bring the two
different data sources (Postgis and Geopackage) together, but it still
doesn't explain the 40 secs.

Also, the 40 secs would be ok, if it could be cached somehow throughout
the QGIS session.

So if there would be some potential to introduce a caching mechanism to
QGIS virtual layers, it would be much appreciated. There could be
several update strategies: on opening of the project, on manual update
(right-click layer --> update) or time based (e.g. every 5 minutes), or
event based (if one of the involved layers changes).

Thanks,

Andreas